Mother's Day is a mixed bag. There was a time when all I wanted was a day all to myself, to be able to do anything I wanted without interruption. Now every day is like that for me and it's easy to feel lonely on Mother's Day. I miss the handmade cards quickly scrawled, the burnt eggo waffles presented to me in bed like it was a great culinary feat and the obligatory "Happy Mother's Day!" greeting first thing in the morning - because they really meant all those things. They were little gifts from big hearts given in the only way they knew how. There was nothing of value ever in their little gifts but they were of immense value to me. I felt the love.
As I contemplate the question "Did I do enough? was I a good enough mother?, I know that I gave only what I had to give also; just as scrawled, hurried and homemade and I hope they all felt the love.
I can recall three favorite mother's day gifts. One was a beautiful porcelain pink roses tea pot that Melissa paid a lot of precious teenage money on. She bought it because she knew what my interests and tastes were and just KNEW I would love it, and I did. I loved the fact the she really knew me. Besides, it was a nice change from all the pictures of herself she would give us :)
Another gift was given to me by Andy on a warm spring day at the Escondido Hills house. I was lolling about in our hammock that was under the blooming orange trees in the backyard. It was a perfect day. I love orange blossom scent. I remember I was was reading a favorite book of mine - Gift from the Sea by Ann Morrow Lindbergh. One of the kids brought me a drink that I didn't even ask for...I don't remember who or I would give them credit - and then Andy brought me a rose from one of our rose bushes - because he knew I loved roses. That day may have been just some random spring day in April or May but It will always be a mother's day to me.
The third gift is pictured above. Brett bought is for me when he was about ten (with his dad's help no doubt) as an antique sale. When he gave it to me the next morning, I asked him to read me the sweet words written on it. He looked at it and proudly read "to my snarling mother". He couldn't figure out why everyone was laughing so hard.
Well I am sure there were times when I was a snarling mother but I think I must have done a few things right too because they all turned out so great; not a rotten apple in the barrel.
Yesterday as I was about to pity myself for being alone on Mother's Day, a wave of love and gratitude swept over me instead. My gosh I really did win the mother lottery.
Robbie is ambitious, social, creative, energetic, loyal and very very generous. He loves his brothers and sisters so much. I think he would do just about anything for any of them if needed. Fatherhood has made him a good man, especially when Jakob came along. His tender side came out in spades. He values my opinion which makes this empty nester feel needed still.
Melissa is the other half of "the dynamic duo". She is generous, thoughtful,determined, loving, has talent up the yingyang, is level headed, and a sense of confidence that blows me away. I once commented to Trent that she has a lot of capabilities that make her a great partner. He smiled and said "Are you kidding me she's perfect!!" I never heard a better compliment paid to any wife.
Nikki hmm...Nikki was born with a perfect combo of faith and obedience that I think is also pretty rare. She is the perfect friend, the perfect wife (says Adam) and probably a perfect mother too. For being as sweet as she is, she's no doormat. She'll stand up to anybody if she thinks there has been an injustice and the odd thing is that she can say the most blunt things but without being offensive - you just take what she says as information because there is never any malice there. She is emotionally even and easy going. She has a lot of Dutch in her - her home is always clean and she's becoming a pretty good cook. We call her Oma Nikki....and she would add that she is our one perfect child.
Melanie is the fun one - consistently! She is the good time girl. She is pretty easy going like Nikki and has a lot of Melissa's business sense and drive. She values education (for her kids, not for herself, grr) craves being with family, is loyal, dependable, joyful, always on the move and has the best smile in the world. She is someone that you just want to be around because she makes you feel happy (so please move back?) She doesn't think she is creative, but creativity takes many forms - just ask her to give a talk in church and you'll see how creatively she'll come up with a way to get out of that!
Andy was always my best friend when he was little - then I made him go to school. He is model handsome, has a dynamic personality, creative, faithful, has a sense of caring for others that is rare for his age, a love of the scriptures and the gospel, and also has the gift of obedience. He is teachable and humble and has a great sense of humor. A unique word that describes him? - comfort. The right pillow is pretty important.
Brett - this one is hard. There are plenty of great things to say about him but I tear up when I think about him because of almost losing him as a baby. The times when I was closest to the Lord occurred because of him. Everyone thinks he is my favorite but he's not ( Estoy embromando solamente Brett! ) Seriously, I love Brett's laugh, love his obedience and faith. I love his humility and ability to laugh at himself. Put those two qualities together and you get to see a lot of chubby boy photos. All kids LOVE him and pretty much every person he meets. He is so kind and considerate of others.
Well that's everybody - except for the person who made it all possible. Without Dad's providing care and commitment to family, I wouldn't have had the luxury of staying home to care for them. Thank-you Rob. Also Rob, thanks for including the gift of a sense of humor in all their baby blessings. It worked and made life at the Boot house fun. OK everybody, your turn to write. I want some good stories! I love you all so much. Love Mom
5 comments:
awwww thanks mom!!
well you were right on, I am the perfect and FAVORITE kid!!! it was probably me who brought you that drink!!!
Good comments especially leaving the best for last...me!
i didn't hear my name mentioned but no hurt feelings!! just kidding. i love what you wrote and i love how well you know each of your kids. so sweet!
I'm just so darn nosy...and I enjoyed reading every bit of it. You are a great momma!
XO
Post a Comment