Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Jacob Pronk




Jacob Pronk is not a direct ancestor: he's kid of a distant cousin, but family all the same. Here is why there is a street named after him and a conference room at the Kurhaus and probably a whole lot of other things. There is a lot of interesting history on this but when the exiled prince of Orange sailed back into the Netherlands he was carried to shore on the shoulders on Jacob Pronk. (There were no docks back then) Well for this amazing (?) feat he was given all kinds of perks, one being rights to some land on the beach (maybe the actual area where the royal carrying occurred) At some point he invented a way for modest women to go out into the ocean to swim/bathe : "the bathing machine." 

These little house carts were brought out into the water, the attendant would go back to shore and  the ladies would strip down, get into the water and have a fun little skinny dip in private. Notice that the dummy in the photo above is clothed...well they couldn't very well display her au naturel could they...all those little school children who are brought here to learn their town's history and all) But all the info says they swam in the buff. Just a quirky little bit of history I thought I'd toss in.....now we'll really go to Belgium.

4 comments:

biddles and scootch said...

are those fake people? any ways I mean to be rude but I think you would Be CrelaDeVeil! It's not that you are like her it's just you look like her!

Lorna Kyle Boot said...

this would be bids again right? You need your own email. I couldn't figure out what you were talking about. You're still on the art characters aren't you? Hey I can't be Cruela De Ville because I don't have white hair any more!!

Are yes those are fake people. Love you sweetie!

Nikki said...

how funny...andy and brett would love to try it out.

SHANNA said...

that is so interesting! what a pain just to get clean. i am grateful for plumbing!!